If you are, like us, catching up with long overdue tasks around the home and thinking about decorating during lockdown then read on…
We don’t want to deter you from those decorating tasks, but we want you to avoid having to call us afterwards asking for advice on what went wrong, so follow our trusted guide to point you in the right direction…
1. Preparation is key. We have a few weeks of lockdown so take your time and do the job properly. Starting with preparation, any area that you are decorating will need preparation. Old paint will need to be removed or sanded. Remove any old wallpaper. Fill in any holes. It’s important to ensure that surfaces are dry and clean before you start.
2. Plan – think about what you are trying to achieve. Don’t make it up as you go along. Be clear about what finish you are aiming for. Don’t cut corners or lower your standards just because we are on lockdown or when it is over you will find yourself wanting to re-decorate.
3. Use the correct tools (see our blog on the essential decorating tools - https://www.internalaffairsdecorating.uk/post/the-essential-decorating-tools) before you start, check that you have everything you need to complete the task. You don’t want to get part way and realise you can’t finish the job as you can’t source an item.
4. Enjoy the process (if you can), often we find decorating our homes stressful, it can be disruptive, and we are usually working to a time frame and trying to get it completed at the weekend or on our days off. Now we have that thing called time, so enjoy each moment of it!
5. If in doubt, don’t do it! We understand that you may want to make changes to your home as currently it serves as an office as well for many of us. Spending so much time at home we are more likely to notice the things that need doing. But if you aren’t certain then wait it out. Find something else to do – hang those pictures, re-arrange the furniture and give us a call when it’s all over!